Our Learning Model
The YLA curriculum is delivered through a combination of hands-on activities and proprietary multimedia. Every student's unique learning style is accommodated. Whether for kinesthetic or visual learners, nonreaders, or speakers of English as a second language, the YLA curriculum ensures student success through a combination of text, graphics, video and real-world, interactive activities.
YLA Program Highlights
- With an academic focus on STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), YLA's core curriculum also includes English/Language Arts, Social Studies and Related Arts.
- YLA's STEM-focused curriculum encourages students to explore areas of interest and develop affinities for possible career paths, thus strengthening their personal commitment to the education process and preparing them for solid career choices at the high school and vocational school level.
- YLA also offers skills development in areas designed to produce high efficiencies in youth leadership, independent and cooperative learning (teamwork), environmental awareness and character education.
- With a daily commitment to physical activity and healthy lifestyle choices, YLA hopes to instill healthy habits that will carry forward into adulthood, thus producing a healthier, more vibrant and active workforce.
Other YLA Programs
- Beta Club
- Robotics Club
- Running Club
- Student Council
- YAMS (Young Appalachian Musicians)
STEM Modules from Pitsco Education
Today more than ever before, effective STEM education is critical to cultivating a new generation of innovators and creative problem solvers who are career and workforce ready. YLA uses a blending curriculum including Pitsco Education's STEM science curriculum as the basis for the school's academic program. Pitsco Education offers hands-on, minds-on STEM curriculum designed to engage, challenge and motivate students to ask questions, seek answers and solve problems.